Leading in a unionized workplace presents a number of unique challenges for a supervisor. Having a clear understanding of the obligations and opportunities of this environment will increase a leader’s likelihood of success. This workshop will provide those who supervise in a unionized environment with an understanding of the rights and obligations of the employer, as well as the role and influence of unions. Participants will learn to utilize the provisions of their collective agreements in order to manage their workforce cooperatively and productively.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- Employer Rights and Obligations
- Union Rights and Obligations
- Understanding Major Provisions of the Collective Agreement
- Role of the Labour Relations Board
- Roles of the Shop Steward and the Union’s Representative
- Motivating Employees in a Union Environment
- Progressive Discipline Principles and Processes
- Grievance and Dispute Resolution
- Working Cooperatively with the Union
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study review, personal reflection, and small group discussions.