Trauma is prevalent in our world and has an impact on many of the people we interact with, including our clients and colleagues. Compassionate and trauma informed care is essential to providing effective support and building sustainable services. This workshop explores how to build a trauma informed culture into a workplace setting that integrates knowledge throughout the organization. Participants will develop an understanding of the pervasive impact of trauma on individual health and relationships. Guiding principles will be explored for increasing emotional and physical safety, culturally sensitive empowerment, and creating greater resilience for all parts of an organization. Becoming trauma informed creates a sustainable foundation in any work setting to promote strength, engagement and recovery.
This workshop is offered through Crisis and Trauma Resource Institute Inc.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Included
- Respectful Awareness
- Definitions of Trauma for Individual, Relationship and Public Health
- Prevalence of Trauma, from Single Incident to Complex
- Understanding the Impact of Trauma Across the Lifespan
- Contexts of Impact – Cultural, Intergenerational and Societal Factors
- Collaborative Health
- Principles of Trauma Informed Care
- Core Competencies – Putting Principles into Action
- Choice, Trust and Connection
- Recognizing Innate Strengths and Resilience
- Building a Trauma-Informed Culture
- The Continuum of Trauma Informed Care and Practices
- A Systemic View of Healing Trauma
- Building Trauma Informed Principles into Policy and Processes
- Attending to Staff Safety and Secondary Trauma
Method of Delivery
Lecture, personal reflection, video, case study review and small group discussion
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for anyone interested in learning more about the value of trauma informed workplaces.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Discuss the prevalence and impact of trauma on individuals, communities and organizations.
- List guiding principles for incorporating a trauma informed approach across roles.
- Describe steps for creating safer work settings for both service providers and clients.
- Design an action plan for trauma informed goals in service delivery and program planning.