Trauma is prevalent in our world and has an impact on many of the people we interact with, including our colleagues and clients. A compassionate and trauma-informed response is essential to providing effective services and building a culture of strength. This workshop explores how to build a trauma-informed culture in a workplace setting that integrates knowledge throughout the organization. Participants will develop an understanding of the pervasive impact of trauma on individual health and relationships. Guiding principles will be explored for increasing emotional and physical safety, culturally sensitive empowerment, and creating greater resilience for all parts of an organization. Becoming trauma-informed creates a sustainable foundation in any work setting to promote strength, and engagement.
Some of the Topics Included
- Trauma Awareness
- Definitions of Trauma
- Prevalence of Trauma, from Single Incident to Complex
- Understanding the Impact of Trauma Across the Lifespan
- Contexts of Impact – Cultural, Intergenerational, and Societal Factors
- Collaborative Health
- Principles of Trauma-Informed Workplaces
- Core Competencies – Putting Principles into Action
- Choice, Trust and Connection
- Recognizing Innate Strengths and Resilience
- Building a Trauma-Informed Workplace
- The Continuum of Trauma-Informed Practices
- A Systemic View of Healing Trauma
- Building Trauma-Informed Principles into Policy and Processes
- Attending to Staff Safety and Secondary Trauma
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for anyone interested in learning more about the value of trauma-informed workplaces.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.